Wednesday 7 December 2016

watercolored gift box for Ikea Omtalad candle, with video

The simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge: Christmas Gifts. Showcasing SSS own brand.

I picked up this candle in a glass at Ikea yesterday for the challenge, it’s called Omtalad.
There’s also a smaller version, but that came in a three pack, and not so pleasing scents ;-).
But that one would be easier to make a box for.

For this one you need a piece of cardstock or in this case watercolour paper  of 13”x9”
So a 12x12”paper is too small,sadly.

You can download the pattern, by clicking on the picture.

I made on yesterday with 160grams of Canon copy paper which I have in A3 size. But I found it flimsy and although I knew the Spectrum Noirs and Copics would seep through, and that was Ok, but then I made a few errors and had a few inky fingers, I hid
under enamel dots...the love affair was over.

So this morning I started again with a 300grams or 140lbs piece of watercolour paper.
I never made a box with this paper, but it works well, I was afraid it might tear and break, it didn’t.

Score on the long side at: 3”, 6”9”and 12”
Score on the short side at 3”, 6” all the way and at 2”and 7”up to the second score line, Make sure the thins strip is at the top, that
will form your lid.

Cut and notch as shown in the video or on the pattern.
Decorate at will, as per the challenge requirements I used a few SSS sets, Secret Garden for the Believe, Birthday Balloons for the stars, Gifts and presents for the stars and snowfall.
I considered used the birds from Springtime critters to color them as red robins, but as my paper is so very bumpy I didn’t want to lose detail. So I chose solid stars, dots and a snowflake, knowing very well they might end up looking a bit distressed.

That Distressed look prompted the use od Distress re inkers and for shine I added Winsor & Newton’s Iridescerent medium, but Perfect Pearl would also work, you just need more and I find my PP very precious.

I heat embossed all the images with Versamark and Papermania superfine silver.

Then I applied the Distress inks liberally, mixing them with the iridescerent medium.
The medium will make your water coloring look a bit streaky, also more distressed I guess, but keep that in mind if you use it.
 
To assemble the box I use a hot glue gun as it’s kind of liquid and sticks almost immediately in a very strong bond. Just be careful when you press the papers together, it gets hot, but it holds so much better that taper runner or double sided adhesive and you don’t have to hold it for ages as with liquid glue.

For more information on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, see this.




No comments:

Post a Comment