Monday 14 November 2016

Inkblending on vellum, with video

The technique of the week for the Facebook gropu Distress inks and Technique is: inkblending on vellum.
I made a card with  a window panel and a votive holder. Very simple to do.
I didn't really tape down the vellum, but I would suggest you do as it wrinkles really easily.
The vellum I'm using is about 40lbs or 85grams. There is thicker and thus sturdier vellum out there.
I sued a variety of Distress inks in blue tones, remember the colors are much more
muted, so the tumbled glass from my recipe (chipped sapphire, stormy sky and tumbled glass) really is almost invisible, so I switched to salty ocean.

For the candle it's easy enough to apply if you keep your (damp) finger out of the way ;-).
On the votive I've also added a snowflake stencil. You can either do them darker like I did with faded jeans or bleach them with a damp paper towel or baby wipe.



To assemble the votive I rolled it around a canister of glue, a little bigger than the battery operated tealight. and I used double sided sticky tape to secure it. It shows a little along the seam, but I don't mind, you can disguise it with a strip of paper or ribbon if you like. I added some glittery ribbon to the bottom to weight it down slightly.

More ideas, is to diecut openings from cardstock and place vellum behind it.
I made two versions for St Patrick's day and used a heart die to make it look like a clover
as I don't have a clover die.
Also I inkblenden one piece of cardstock with Distress inks and splattered it too.

Or you can just apply ink trhough a stencil on the empty vellum if you ant it to show up more.


The card I pretty  much assembled in the video, but a day later I added the diecut village from Craft emotions. I used the negative of the circle I had die cut to position the village, so if would also have nice stitched details and fit perfectly, I adhered it with taperunner.


these I made almost two years ago for a SSS challenge for St. Patrick's day.
One is plain colored cardstock the other was white cardstock I inkblended, peacock feathers, cracked pistachio and mowed lawn I think, silver Distress inks splatter (brushed pewter) and blue and white (picket fence and mermaid lagoon) , maybe some gold too. decorated it with washi tape and string.


Check out the Distress ink techniques group on Facebook, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment