Tuesday 5 April 2016

candle (wax) resist. Masculine Happy birthday


Well I hope it's a little masculine at least ;-)

This week's Monday Challenge over at Simon Says Stamp is about resist techniques with Ranger.

For my resist I was debating what to use then I chose a method I think not many people know about: a candle!
I rubbed the candle through a stencil (Tim Holtz Splotches).
This when I realised not everything Tim Holtz is also Ranger, like my bird crazy
stampset I was planning on using, it's Stampendous ;-)..I have one Ranger stampset (clearly under the sea) but that was too dainty to use on top of this busy background.

So I decided  not to use any images and keep it fairly minimal and  masculine.

The sentiment is from Sizzix (happy birthday) I tried the Happy birthday from Simon Says Stamp Birthday Balloons, but that was also too dainty, I love it, it's so pretty, but it dissapeared ;-)

Aynway back to the making:
I rubbed the candle through the stencil, but you can also just scribble it on, it's a very distressed looking technique, I like that.


I used 300grams Schut hot pressed watercolor paper and I sprayed Distress spray stains (mermaid lagoon and wilted violet) on it, dried it with the heat gone and  dipped in in what remained on the table, dried it again, dipped it again etc.

I then used the nozzle of the spray bottles to add splatter in the same colors with the addition of white linen and anitgued bronze. dried it again.

I used a piece of vellum for the sentiment
and wrapped it around the panel.
I raised the panel with foamtape and as it's always a tiny bit smaller than my cardbases I used a dotted washi tape at the side.

For more information on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, see this



2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card! I love your tutorial! thanks for sharing!
    xoxo Olga

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great technique to use the candle as a resist and you've created a wonderful effect on this fabulous card! Thank you so much for sharing and for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog... :)

    ReplyDelete